Status : discontinued (wait for v4)
Price / Value – Bazar :
Power consumption : 2-4 Kw (1Kw for heatbands, 1-3 Kw for the motor)
Mass : 30 – 50 Kg
Capacity : unknown
Build – time for beginners : 3 days
Build – time for experts : 1-2 days
Required machines : drill press, stick welder, power tools
Recommended machines : lathe , CNC , MIG welder, bench grinder, angle grinder
Material bill : 400 – 1000 Euro
Bazar price : ~1000 – 2000 Euro
Europe – Spain
Cheap heatbands (may last up to 3 weeks to receive)
SSR, PID, Thermocouple (come often as bundle)
PID/temperature controller : We recommend the Inkbird ITC 100VH since it is keeping the target temperature around +/- 1 degree Celsius and does no overshooting. The REXC – 100 has also auto-tuning but it still overshoots the target by 10 – 20 degree.
VFD (Variable Frequency Drive, enables to run 3 phase motors on single phase)
Please check out the forum on the subject
- Desired Speed : 30 – 120 RPM, depends on screw and plastic type.
- In general we recommend a 3 phase motor with at least 800 watt, as well a 1:30 – 1:50 reducer. Here is a one which works well for with an industrial screw as well.
- for the ‘wood auger’ variant you can use also a DC motor as well single phase motor with at least 500 Watt for occasional use. For production you have a better lifetime with 3 phase.
- the wood auger may break with too much motor power
Variants / Community versions & hacks
- needs industrial screw to create quality and also to make beams
- doesn’t create filament as advertised, even with industrial screw it is a difficult process and needs lots of extra equipment. please check the dossier on the subject
- improper welding of the structure may brake the screw mount
Components / Sources
Buyer guide – Bazaar
- make sure you have a speed regulator
- if you see high prices like 1500 Euro and more, make sure it has good heat bands (most use still 5-7 Euro heat-bands) and an ‘industrial screw’ as well heat insulation around the barrel